We can’t wait to see you try our homemade version of Ferrero Rocher chocolate truffles. These truffles are vegan and gluten-free and still have the same delicious chocolate and hazelnut goodness that you love. Whoa, aren’t you ready??
They are crisp and decadent. You will be sure to impress anyone who eats them! These bites are just as good as the real thing but maybe even more satisfying. These cookies are made with only eight ingredients and could change your life! (Big claim, but it’s true!) We’ll show you!
Ferrero Rocher at Home
We studied the textures and flavors of the store-bought classic treat to recreate its magic. But in gluten-free and vegan form!
A chocolate hazelnut layer surrounds the hazelnut and is similar to Nutella. We infused our Honey Mama’s Bar with hazelnut oil to achieve a similar texture and hazelnut flavor. It’s unbelievable what it tastes like!
The classic Ferrero Rocher has a delicious crispy wafer layer. Our favorite DIY option was crushed rice cereal and popped amaranth. Crushed cornflakes! (We used Nature’s Path) These are the perfect gluten-free wafer alternative…and they have the same crisp result!
The hazelnuts are then placed in the freezer to help them set.
The final coating is a crispy outer layer, just like the classics.
Your new favorite candy is just a few minutes away! Just pop the truffles in the fridge to set.
- 3/4 cup roasted hazelnuts
- We used Nature’s Path to ensure gluten-free.
- Sift 1/3 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 3 tbsp hazelnut or almond butter (DIY or store-bought)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted (DIVIDED)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Sea salt is a healthy addition to any meal.
- We like to Enjoy Life brand semisweet vegan chocolate chip
- Roast whole hazelnuts, if using raw hazelnuts, at 350 F or 176 C for 12-15 mins until fragrant. Set aside.
- CORNFLAKES: Use a mortar-and-pestle, Food processor, or a plastic bag and rolling pin to crush the cornflakes into small, even pieces. Place the cornflakes in a small bowl.
- FUDGE LAYER: In a medium bowl, combine cocoa powder sifted, hazelnut oil, maple syrup, 1 tbsp (15ml) of coconut oil, vanilla, and salt. Stir gently with a wooden spoon to form a thick paste.
- Set a plate nearby and line it with parchment paper. Form a rough ball with 1/2 tbsp Of the fudge mix. Place a hazelnut whole in the center and form the fudge to cover it. Repeat this process until you have made 12 hazelnut-filled fudge balls (the rest of the hazelnuts are used to coat them).
- Then, roll your fudge ball in crushed cornflakes if you are using them. Transfer the fudge/cornflakes balls to the freezer and freeze for 15 minutes.
- MELTED CHOCOLATE LAYER: Add 1 inch of water to a small pan and bring it to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to simmer once boiling. Add the chocolate chips and the remaining 1 tbsp (15ml) coconut oils to a small metal or glass bowl. (Adjust the amount if you are changing the number of servings. Place the bowl carefully on top of the saucepan containing simmering water. Stirring occasionally with a spoon or spatula, heat until the chocolate is melted. In a microwave, you can melt the chocolate in increments of 20 seconds in a heatproof bowl. Remove the chocolate from the heat.
- CHOPPER HAZELNUTS Chop the hazelnuts to a fine, even size. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Remove the fudge from the freezer. Use a fork to place one ball on, and dip the bottom gently into the melted dark chocolate. Then, using a spoon, drizzle the chocolate over the top of the ball. (Don’t roll the ball. Otherwise, the cornflakes may come off). Tap the handle of the fork on the side of the bowl to remove excess chocolate. Place the ball into the hazelnuts, and sprinkle the nuts generously over top. Press the ball into the hazelnuts until it is fully coated. Place it back on the parchment-lined platter. Repeat the process with all remaining balls to get 12 Ferrero Rochers! Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until the Ferrero Rocher is firm. Enjoy!
- Ferrero Rocher leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for one month.