Crunchy, Flavorful Savory…What’s not love?! This Egyptian dukkah spice blend is delicious and easy to make. It adds flavor and nutrition to almost any dish. It’s great on salads, avocado toasts, dips and bowls!
Pepitas were found to be just as delicious and affordable as hazelnuts but also suitable for non-nut eaters. Friends, only 5 minutes and just six ingredients are required! We’ll show you exactly how to do it!
What is Dukkah seasoning?
Dukkah, a mixture of spices, herbs, and nuts, was created in Egypt. It is popular throughout the Middle East. Ingredients vary depending on the recipe. However, common ingredients are hazelnuts and sesame seeds. They also include cumin, coriander, and salt.
Dukkah is a coarser spice mix than other typical spice blends. This is our nut-free version with pepitas to add nutrition.
How to Make Dukkah
toast the pepitas and spices to intensify their flavors. This step will also make your kitchen smell incredible.
Then, add the mixture of herbs and salt to a mortar and pestle. Start lightly pounding the zest to achieve a coarse texture.
You can make it in a smaller food processor or a larger processor for a large batch.
- Pepitas are raw pumpkin seeds (or substitute roasted hazelnuts, almonds, or hazelnuts*).
- Add 1 Tbsp of raw sesame seeds to the mortar and pestle (if you are using toasted seeds, add them directly).
- 1 tbsp of whole coriander seeds*
- Cumin seeds whole, 2 tsp
- Black peppercorns, whole: 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Heat a medium-sized skillet on low heat. Add the pepitas and toast, and stir occasionally until they start to puff up and pop — approximately 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Transfer to a data-amzn-asin=”B01HXWT40E” href=”https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HXWT40E/?tag=minimalistbaker-20″>mortar and pestle/a> (or small food processor). Stir frequently until the seeds are fragrant and light brown. Transfer to a pestle and mortar or small food processor.
- Add salt, and pulse (or crush) the mixture to a coarse meal. Be sure to break any peppercorns that are still whole. Add more salt if needed. You can also add cumin seeds to give it a smoky flavor, coriander seeds for brightness, or sesame or pepitas seeds for crunch.
- It is the perfect way to add flavor to any dish. Use it for salads, avocado toasts, roasted vegetables, marinated chicken, fish, or even dips.
- Allow to cool completely before transferring into a jar. In a sealed container, the jam will be kept at room temperature for up to 3 months. Refrigerate to extend the shelf life.